A History of the Russell Farm Estate

Caveat

This document has been produced for non-commercial purposes, as a summary of research conducted by residents of the area.  Every

Introduction

This is a history of the Russell Farm Estate, an area in North West Watford, bounded by Hempstead Road, Ridge Lane,

20th Century Owners

1902 Estate Sold In 1902 the Earl, by then in considerable debt, put the Estate up for sale. The advertisement

Country Estate Staff

Some of the people living in the estate buildings Living on a country estate: In 1841 Ezekiel How, a 55

Russell Farm House

The Original Building The mansion was built to a design by Thomas Wright in 1753 by Stiff Leadbetter, one of

The Lodges

The Lodges Russell’s Estate was one of the three large estates in the area centred on significant country houses. The

Cricket at Russells

In the 30th July 1910 Watford Observer it was reported that Watford Clarence played Paget at Russell farm

The Estate Boundaries

Historical Development of Watford “New development was linked with the construction of the new distributor roads through the area, with

The Gardens

History of the Gardens Together with an overview of the design of parks and gardens there are a few mentions

Estate Trees

The area still has some wooded areas, including some older trees. The old Russell Farm Wood, to the North East

Russell Farm Chalk Pit

The Hertfordshire XXXIX.9 map 1896/1898, shows an Old Gravel Pit to the North West of Russell Farm House.    

1840’s Tithe Maps

In the mid 1840s for the first time we have a detailed picture of the Estate from the tithe map

Development in the 1970’s

1970’s “Houses on Hemingford Way and Hampden Way were built in two phases during the 1950s-1960s as residential accommodation for

Development in the 1990’s

  A map dated 1991 shows changes over the last few decades including: Greenbanks, which was constructed some time before

1939 Register/Census

The 1939 ‘census’ gives a useful insight into the people moving into the estate. The initial National Registration Bill was

World War II

Russells Estate in the Second World War According to available information, during the war Russells played a crucial role in

Goodwood Parade

Picture of the shops taken in 2013             Extracts from Facebook Group “We Grew Up

Goodwood Recreation Ground

It is possible that the Goodwood Recreation Grounds were originally fields used by William Copeland to stable his racehorses and

Maps

The Historic England site has over 400,000 digitised photos from their aerial photo collections of over 6 million photographs preserved in

Residents of the Estate

Extracts and Notes about people living in the area Goodwood Avenue and Minerva Drive The following notes and a few

Landscape

 “The whole parish lies on the chalk formation, more or less deeply covered with gravel, sand, and brick earth. It

Roads on the Estate

  As the Estate was developed after 1934, broadly speaking from Ridge Lane westwards, so the roads were laid out.

Bibliography

Various books and on-line sources have been used in this research including; ‘Directory of Stage Coach Services, . (1836′ (pub.